Friday, November 23, 2007

Short-Listed

I'm happy, proud, and pleased that, to my knowledge so far, there are four PGS contributors short-listed for the prose category in the 2nd Philippine Graphic/Fiction Awards (to be held on Nov. 25, 2007, at Fully Booked Serendra). I believe that, just like last year, the number of stories in the short list did not reach the teens. One contributor, Andrew Drilon, is also short-listed for the comics category (Andrew is one of those gifted people who can both write and draw). It always feels great to hear that PGS contributors are getting recognized or published elsewhere, just like earlier this year, or here, and here.

In addition to the four, there are two more that I know of who are also short-listed and who have expressed interest in contributing to PGS in the (hopefully not too distant) future.

I hesitate though to mention their names and the titles of their stories until there's a formal announcement from the contest organizers, though some of them have already mentioned it publicly or have been outed by their friends. (I only mentioned Andrew because, well, I already have, a few days ago).

Good luck, guys!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

add this to your links section: http://uncircumcisedfilipinos.blogspot.com

very enlightening site.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

I figure that this has some pretty good implications:

1. These authors can be concluded as having consistently good works, as they've been recognized in at least two separate forums (PGS and Fully Booked).

2. Either PGS has directly contributed to the growth of these writers through publication, or PGS has become a recognized venue for experienced writers. It depends on whether or not these people are the "experienced" sort.

What I'm hoping for now is that some of the shortlisted entries were written by writers who had some form of contact with PGS without actually having been published inside -- perhaps people who were inspired by some of the entries there, or who listened to a discussion by one of the contributors.

I confess that I am very puzzled, however, at exactly what an anti-circumcision site has to do with all this. Is it supposed to be symbolic, in a way?

12:04 PM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

Hi Sean. Thanks for saying what you said. Those are kind words. I do hope this is a positive sign, and I am doing my best to keep PGS a venue for new writers and not just semi-established and established ones. And just as importantly, that their stories are read.

And thank you for your continued reviews for PGS3. For those of you who haven't read yet, Sean has continued to update his PGS3 reviews at his blog, lengthofwords.blogspot.com.

As for that thing about anti-circumcision, yes, it did surprise me to see that comment there...

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home