Sunday, May 04, 2008

Thank You, Ria Lu

I'd like to thank Ria Lu, creator of the Talecraft Story-Creation game (which I first wrote about here), for having me over as a speaker during the Talecraft fantasy workshop on May 4, 2008 at Powerbooks Megamall. To all those who attended, I hope it was worth your time, and it was an honor to have been your speaker. As he commented on the PGS Multiply site, PGS layout editor Elbert Or has been using Talecraft regularly for his comics workshops and classes. In his words: "Talecraft rules." Talecraft is available at Powerbooks and select National Bookstore branches, so go and get your copy now.

The Talecraft workshops aren't over yet. They'll be held each Sunday in May of this year at the same venue, at 1 p.m. Next Sunday will tackle science-fiction, with guest speaker Tobie Abad from the New Worlds Alliance; the Sunday after that will have PGS4 contributor Yvette Tan tackling horror (she's also the guest-editor for the PGS Special Halloween Issue); and then the Sunday after that will have Faye Ilogon and Ma. Celeste Flores-Coscolluela from Cozy Reads Publishing handling romance. Admission is free, so please do find the time to come by, meet people, learn a few things, and try out Talecraft.

The talk was fun, and as I always do, I enjoyed meeting younger folk with an enthusiasm for reading, books, and stories. It was good to see Ria again (who, by the way, also writes, and has a book out, Cross Your Heart). It was also a pleasant surprise to have encountered illustrator, Joel Chua, whom I've corresponded with a few times in the past via email and phone, and met for the first time in the flesh yesterday. We should get together again in the future and talk some more, guys. The discussions were fun. Ria and Joel also gave me a list of Hayao Miyazaki films to watch, encouraging this anime newbie, this old guy, to try them out. Maybe I will. It might help me understand why anime stories have captured the imaginations of younger folk. I think I can even watch them with my kids; Ria and Joel assure me they'll enjoy them. Who knows? It might also help turn back my own clock. Thanks again, Ria, Joel, and all who were at the Talecraft fantasy workshop! And for those of you who missed it, please do find the time to attend the next ones.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, yup, Miyazaki's films are a nice place to start. Not all of the films are for little kids, though.

If you want proof that anime isn't just for kids like me and Charles, you can try Ghost in the Shell (original movie and series). Heady sci-fi stuff. Cowboy Bebop is a good series for sci-fi, too.

I'm not a fantasy fan of any kind, so I can't recommend any fantasy-type anime, sorry.

In general we love anime because, when well done, we get characters we grow to love and root for (much the way us anime geeks root for Heroes' Hiro Nakamura). Also, when well made, we get great stories.

EK 8 )

12:01 PM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

Thanks, EK! As soon as I get my hands on some of those Miyazaki films, I'll watch them with my kids. Have a good week!

2:36 PM  
Blogger bhex said...

hi sir kenneth! uy anime recommendations, i hope it's ok for me to jump in? :D

for serious, artsy, non-kiddie anime, i always recommend makoto shinkai's works. my personal favorite is she and her cat but he's better known for longer works like voices of a distant star and 5 centimeters per second. both titles should be on either youtube or crunchyroll.

i'll just second ek's rec for cowboy bebop, because it's one of my all-time favorite "mature" anime series. wolf's rain is another non-kiddie fantasy series that's worth a look, i think. reign: the conqueror is very stylized, and something i wish more people had seen. there's a whole slew of disturbing, non-kiddie anime in the horror and fantasy genres that i could probably recommend... i'm actually surprised people still think of anime as "kidstuff" when there's so much twisted genius in this format floating around XD

but if you're looking for outstanding anime that you can watch and enjoy with your kids... you need not look further than miyazaki/studio ghibli's stuff. those are real classics.

haaay sorry po for going on and on. i hope you'll forgive me, bihira naman po akong mag-comment :P

1:24 PM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

Hi Bhex! Not at all! I enjoyed your post. It's very informative. I need to be educated on anime. I have a feeling I'm losing out here... Thank you! I'll be in touch with you via email soon, by the way.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home