Friday, September 09, 2011

Readercon Filipino Friday Week 5: Hopes And Expectations For The Readercon

(Continuing the Filipino Friday activities as a buildup to Readercon!)

It's the last Friday before Readercon, and the question today is "What do you hope will happen in the Filipino Readercon? What are you expecting from the event?"

Sadly, I won't be able to go, as I'll be out of town for work the entire week. But, I do hope that Readercon will snare new readers among Pinoys, especially younger ones. I hope it will turn them into lifelong readers, bitten by the book bug. I hope that it will make them as enthusiastic as The Filipino Book Bloggers in promoting reading, new people to help spread the fun and importance of literacy. I hope that it will show how important reading is for anyone. I hope that people will appreciate reading in general; fiction or non-fiction; in English, Filipino, or any other language, whether local or international; to read authors and books not just from the usual western sources, or from the Philippines, but also from all other countries; that all this reading will open hearts and minds, to develop more empathy for and understanding of people, and to comprehend how we--no matter where or how we live or what our backgrounds are--can all be so different, can have varied physical appearances, can own interestingly diverse, even divergent, priorities, but to still know that we are all part of a common universal human experience that ties us together.

4 Comments:

Blogger GatheringBooks said...

Aww, loved this post. Yes. I wish for all those things to happen as well. Won't be able to attend but sending positive energies across the miles.

9:39 PM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

@Myra Garces-Bacsal: Thank you! :)

10:04 PM  
Anonymous aloi said...

So wonderfully said! I'm also sending my good vibes over the globe from Canada.

Love that I have stumbled across your blog in the process, and am now adding you to my blogroll!

Have a wonderful weekend!

8:25 AM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

@aloi: Thank you! Have a good weekend, too!

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home