Friday, September 28, 2007

The Pinoy Penman Writes

Got an email from Sir Butch Dalisay this morning:
hi, kenneth, thanks for the question. check out my column [in the Philippine Star] on monday [October 1, 2007] (or catch it on my blog this sunday [Sept. 30, 2007]).
cheers
butch
The "question" being this part of an email I sent him earlier in the week:
I know you're busy, so you don't need to respond to this if you don't want to, but I wanted to ask if there was a time back before the internet when there were discussions among writers about how to define "Philippine" fiction. What makes a story Filipino in nature?
I'm asking because, well, it's a long story, but I'll try and shorten it.
Dean Alfar, as you know, is the major proponent of "speculative fiction" in the country, and he posted on his blog his thoughts about what would make spec fic Filipino. Then I went to UP to meet the class of Prof. Emil Flores and to promote PGS (I've been doing the round of schools to promote reading among the youth, bringing writers along with me), and the Prof. shared his thoughts. I felt some confusion, and posted something on the PGS blog. Thereupon others began posting their thoughts. I've collected all these links here:
I'm thinking all these thoughts might already be a well-traveled road, but by writers from before blogs and emails and RSS feeds.
So, the Pinoy Penman will share his ideas. Please grab a copy of the October 1, 2007 issue of the Philippine Star to read his column, or check out his blog on September 30, 2007.

(Note: As of September 30, 2007, I've made a link here that will take you to his column.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, kenneth, just posted the piece. used a pic of PGS from your site, hope you don't mind :)

cheers
butch dalisay

11:37 AM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

Hi, Sir Butch. And yes, thanks too for using a pic from the PGS blog. I'll link up your blog entry asap! TY again!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home