Sunday, November 02, 2008

Brief Respite












Cabaña: three-and-a-half meters square, lying surface of smooth rattan and covered in thin cushions; white billowy curtains on each corner.

Beach: off-white, pebbly sand, stony, with remnants of dynamited coral (*sad*), but much, much less than at other beaches (*glad*); not perfectly clean, but very close to it.

South China Sea: 23 degrees Celsius average water temperature; dangerously jagged and rocky--but exciting--shallows, with rich and beautiful marine life about 25 meters outward (think Finding Nemo); sea floor drops into the mysterious deep about 40 meters out (at high tide); snorkeling fun.

Lounge Chair, wide umbrella: perfect place to read (note the pocketbook--cross-genre tales, science-fiction mysteries), and to scarf some potato chips.

Craggy outcropping of rock: lies at the end of the cove, about 25-30 feet high. Mustered enough youthful energy (and courage) to climb to the top, where the breeze felt wonderful and the view of the horizon, spectacular. Blundered clumsily down, but didn't fall or hurt myself.

Man, did I need this. Badly.

It wasn't all that perfect. I know I didn't do my already trans-fat heavy blood any favors with those potato chips (among other snacks); traffic was hellish in many places going to and coming back, and I dislike driving in traffic (who doesn't?); I had to evacuate the cabaña when my companions brought out a movie player to watch Mamma Mia! (The Winner Takes It All at the beach...um, sorry, not for me); I cut my fingers on some sharp coral, which is better than some others I saw who swam in bare feet instead of wearing booties (or even water-resistant sandals) and suffered bleeding wounds on their soles for their daring.

But still, did I need this.

Sigh. Back to the grind.

Hope many of you guys will find the time to get away too, even for just a bit, the next time there's a break; I know how stressful so-called "modern life" can get. And to a friend whom I know is heading for the seaside for a holiday, hope you can unwind the same way I did. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home