Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Trail Of The Chop-Chop Lady Of Makati

Here's a novel to add to the short list of crime-fiction books we have in the country: The Trail Of The Chop-Chop Lady Of Makati, by Atty. Wilfredo Garrido.

Getting together with some friends after a long time, plus meeting and making some new ones, I had the honor last night of meeting the Manila Critic Circle's First Awardee for Lifetime Achievement in Publishing, the One-Woman Publisher of Giraffe Books, the esteemed Gloria F. Rodriguez. Her daughter, writer Nadine Sarreal, who has had her work published so many times here and abroad, was also there. A number of us were their dinner guests in their home in Quezon City yesterday.

For some moments, our conversation turned to, as usual, the dearth of crime fiction in the Philippines. Ma'am Glo then informed us that last year, she had published a crime novel by a Makati-based lawyer named Wilfredo Garrido. It was a pleasant surprise, to say the least. A couple of us bought a copy each of The Trail Of The Chop-Chop Lady Of Makati right then and there.

I haven't read the book yet, but I would like to plug it nonetheless, it being a crime novel, a rare thing locally. I'd also like to make a little shout-out for Giraffe Books, the publishing company of ma'am Glo. I'm in awe of all that she's done for local literature in what is essentially a one-woman show. Even at her advanced age, she's still going strong. Maraming salamat po, ma'am!

The book lists Giraffe Books' contact info as: giraffebooks(at)asia(dot)com; (632) 928-9269, in case you'd like to inquire about this book, or any others they have.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dizzy Dame said...

I'll bring this page up on Dad's computer next time I go to my parents so Mom can see what you wrote. Thank you, Kenneth--for this blog entry, for meatless pakbet, and for your company last night. Let's exchange our photos from last night--yours are probably better than mine.
Cheers, Nadine

1:54 PM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

Hi, Nadine!

I sent you and the others a PM via our Multiply accounts; I don't have your email address. You can reply to me there, and then we can exchange photos.

Thank you very much for hosting, and please tell your Mom the same. Most especially, thank you for the Coca-Cola! :D

K.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Kenneth.
Thank you for the great blog about the book, my mom, and my sister. I love them very much and am so proud of both of them! Nadine shared a photo of you all at my parents' home. So nice to put faces to those names we hear Nadine talk about often.

Regards,
Cindy

12:31 AM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

Hi, Cindy. You're welcome, and it was great spending time at your place. It was an honor to meet your mom and your sister (and you, via internet). I and the others had a great time. Regards, and have a great week!

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home