Sunday, June 21, 2009

I Before E, Except After C. Let's See...

The British government is spelling the end of the "i before e" rule.

"...new British government guidance tells teachers not to pass on the rule to students, because there are too many exceptions.

The "Support For Spelling" document, which is being sent to thousands of primary schools, says the rule "is not worth teaching" because it doesn't account for words like 'sufficient,' 'veil' and 'their.'"

Click here for the whole article.

I first heard of this rule from the cartoon, "A Boy Named Charlie Brown". That's the scene where Charlie Brown is studying for a spelling bee, and Linus and Snoopy are helping him memorize spelling rules. It ends with them prancing around and dancing to the song "I Before E, Except After C", instead of studying. :D Sounds a lot like my own study habits back when I was in school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home