Saturday, July 18, 2009

An E-Book Convert Speaks

Here's an article from The Inquirer where an avid reader explains why she now doesn't mind reading ebooks: An Electronic Book Convert Speaks. An excerpt:

Reading books was more than a mental exercise, it was also a sensory experience, from the delicious smell of paper and ink, to the feel of the crisp page or the embossed script on the front cover.

And then the e-book came along.

When I first came across it, it didn’t interest me at all. I scoffed at and denounced it, because a bunch of scrolling words on the computer screen could not compare to the feel of a real book. I even gamely tried it out, when a book I wanted to read was out of print but had a digital copy. I read it from my computer, and after the 30th page, longed for my bed where I could lie down and finish the book snuggled under the covers. Except my arms would probably give out holding the laptop the way I did a conventional book. Not to mention how dizzy I’d get after reading scroll after continuous scroll. I thought that would be my last foray into the world of electronic books.

Until the Kindle was born.

Click here to read the whole article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home