Monday, August 03, 2009

It's Beginning To Sink In


In this blog, for the most part, I've avoided writing about anything unrelated to reading, books, authors, stories. In other words, I try very hard not to go off-topic, since I know very well what this blog is about. Every now and then, though I try not to do it too often, I've written about other things that grab my interest, or about absurd, funny, or poignant things that I've observed or that have happened to me, though only vaguely, since I don't think anyone would be interested in the details of my pretty much simple and regular life (well, my life's interesting only to me, since it's mine).

And I've avoided political issues like the plague. A high school teacher once shared her thoughts about politics with me and my classmates, describing it as the "sewer of life", and warned us that if one wants to find the worst of what it is to be human, just check out "politics". Maybe she was right, maybe not, because even if I've seen how bad things can get in "politics", if my teacher were still here with us I'd tell her that I've seen just as bad outside of it.

So, please indulge me in this non-reading related blog entry.

I know the reasons why I'm deeply affected by her passing. After all, for some time back in my growing-up years of the 80's, I felt as much hope about the world as any young boy could feel, and she was one of the symbols for that. But being as cynically jaded as I can sometimes be now that I'm no longer that young boy--except deep down inside, in a place where I let no one but those I'm closest to in--I didn't think I'd feel as somber as I do now.

She lived only a hop, skip, and jump away from my own neighborhood. Her street was a shortcut to avoid traffic, and I passed by her dwelling so many times over the years it became routine. It's easy enough to find and see her on the web or on TV, though I never met her in person or even shared the same space with her. Despite this, I haven't been feeling all that chip since she passed away last weekend. And I don't think this cloud is going to lift anytime soon.

But there is still much to live for, much to do, much to counter, much to support. And if there's anything that she's taught through example it's that you do what you have to do, in the most honest, hopeful, patient, and principled way you can; and it's in the simple things, the most basic of things, and in those closest to us, that one can find the greatest meaning and happiness.

Besides, yellow is such a cheerful colour.

Paalam po, Gng. Pangulo.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

me too...i shed tears yesterday during kris' tearful Buzz interview...

she's going to heaven

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home