Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Gene Yang's American Born Chinese

Taking some time from my hiatus to make a quick post: I'm not much of a graphic novel reader, but I'm intrigued by and interested to read Gene Yang's American Born Chinese.

I've read the author's interviews (here and here), and many of his personal experiences somewhat echo mine as I was growing up, even if this is the Philippines and not the USA. For example, he mentions being embarrassed as a kid to be associated with what he calls the F.O.B.'s, while I recall feeling the same way about my fairer skin and slanted eyes whenever others would use words like "Int**k b*h*" in my presence. One of my relatives was called "Demonyong Int**k" while I was within earshot, too. I was very young, of course, and my reaction was to hate what I was and to wish that I was part of the in group. It seems that Gene Yang explored these same feelings with his graphic novel through the eyes of his older self, and I have a feeling I might find some understanding about this through his work, even if our conclusions or epiphanies on our experiences may not be exactly the same.

Plus, I saw some sample panels, and The Monkey King comes out. He's always fun.

Okay, just had to blog about this. Have to head back to hibernation. I'll be back to blog regularly as soon as I can. TY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home