Saturday, July 31, 2010

Words Of Advice From A Writer Turned Editor

Here are some Words Of Advice From A Writer Turned Editor, an interesting post on the blog The Other Side Of The Story. An excerpt:

Windy words of advice from a writer turned editor

Everything you've read about slushpile readers and editors is true. Not only must you keep from drowning, but you have to make good decisions too. How does an editor do it?

When I put out the anthology call for Panverse One in May of 2009, I was flooded with twenty stories in the first week, fifty by the end of the month. And not just stories, but novellas of between 15k and 40k words; worse, since I’ve always railed against slow response times, I’d stated right up front on our guidelines page that I’d always respond to subs within 30 days.

Fortunately I’m a fast learner—and a fast reader-- and figured out how to live up to my promise and get through my slushpile quickly. Everything below is my approach, but I suspect that most editors operate in a very similar manner. Here's what you need to know to give you the best chance of selling that story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home