Friday, September 02, 2011

Readercon Filipino Friday Week 4: Reading Philippine Literature

(Continuing the Filipino Friday activities as a buildup to Readercon!)

The question for this week is "Do you read Filipino literature, and if so, which books would you recommend?" I admit to a bias with the books/anthologies/collections by Pinoys that I'm going to recommend because the majority of the Pinoys who wrote or edited them are PGS contributors, and most of them are genre. Consider that a disclaimer :D.

Waking The Dead And Other Stories by Yvette Tan
Smaller And Smaller Circles by F.H. Batacan
Philippine Speculative Fiction Volumes 1-6, edited by several PGS contributors over the years (Dean Alfar, Nikki Alfar, Vincent Simbulan, Kate Osias). PSF 7, by the way, will be edited by Kate Osias and Alex Osias.
The Kite Of Stars And Other Stories by Dean Alfar
Heartbreak And Magic by Ian Casocot
A Time For Dragons edited by Vincent Simbulan
Best Of Philippine Speculative Fiction 2009 edited by Charles Tan
Philippine Speculative Fiction Sampler edited by Mia Tijam and Charles Tan
The Farthest Shore edited by Dean Alfar and Joseph Nacino
Demons Of The New Year edited by Karl de Mesa and Joseph Nacino
Diaspora Ad Astra edited by Emil Flores and Joseph Nacino (to go live soon)

There are a number of other genre anthologies, collections, and books published locally, containing stories by both PGS contributors and other writers as well (an example would be Tales Of Fantasy And Enchantment, edited by Cristina Pantoja-Hidalgo). I've also read the books of Butch Dalisay (Soledad's Sister, Wash: Only A Bookkeeper, and Killing Time In A Warm Place, etc.) and Charlson Ong (Banyaga and Blue Angel, White Shadow), most of which are realist and not genre, but like I've mentioned in other posts, when I read, I'm not conscious of labels (but I mention it anyway for those who are). I've also read the collection of essays by Carl Javier, The Kobayashi Maru Of Love. The Philippines Graphic and The Philippines Free Press publish short fiction weekly, so one could consider checking out the pieces there. I'm still hoping, too, that Story Philippines will resume publication, whether on paper or online.

5 Comments:

Blogger fantaghiro23 said...

I miss Story Philippines, too. Thanks for all the recos, Kenneth!

10:31 PM  
Blogger Chachic said...

I'll keep these recommendations in mind, I really should read more Filipino fiction. But they're mostly anthologies, right? Hmm I'm not a big fan of those. I don't know why but I rarely get to finish anthologies, I guess I just prefer novels.

3:06 PM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

@fantaghiro23: Hope you'll enjoy the stories, Honey!

@Chachic: If that's the case, then try the novels Smaller and Smaller Circles by F.H. Batacan, Salamanca by Dean Alfar, Soledad's Sister by Butch Dalisay, and Banyaga and Blue Angel, White Shadow by Charlson Ong.

I haven't read Ilustrado by M. Syjuco yet, but it's gotten a lot of press.

I'm sure if you search a bit more, you'll find some novels by Pinoys out there.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Chachic said...

Yay novels! Thanks for the recommendations. Added all of the titles that you mentioned to my wishlist. You're actually the second person to recommend Soledad's Sister (Candy Gourlay left a comment in my Filipino Friday post recommending that). Hmm not sure if Ilustrado is my kind of book though. The others that you mentioned look more like the type that I'd enjoy.

12:48 AM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

@Chachic: Great! Hope you find 'em and like 'em!

You can also try other novels as well by the older generation of writers like NVM Gonzales, F. Sionil Jose, and Nick Joaquin. I'm sure you'll be able to find them in the bookstores.

See you, and good luck at Readercon! Wish I could go, but I've got work that day. :)

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home