Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Love Of Stories

I want to share with you the first five pages of the book I'm currently reading, Elie Wiesel's The Gates Of The Forest:

When the great Rabbi Israel Baal Shem-Tov
saw misfortune threatening the Jews
it was his custom
to get into a certain part of the forest to meditate.
There he would light a fire,
say a special prayer,
and the miracle would be accomplished
and the misfortune averted.

Later, when his disciple,
the celebrated Magid of Mezritch,
had occasion, for the same reason,
to intercede with heaven,
he would go to the same place in the forest
and say: "Master of the Universe, listen!
I do not know how to light the fire,
but I am still able to say the prayer."
And again the miracle would be accomplished.

Still later,
Rabbi Moshe-Leib of Sasov,
in order to save his people once more,
would go into the forest and say:
"I do not know how to light the fire,
I do not know the prayer,
but I know the place
and this must be sufficient."
It was sufficient and the miracle was accomplished.

Then it fell to Rabbi Israel of Rizhyn
to overcome misfortune.
Sitting in his armchair, his head in his hands,
he spoke to God: "I am unable to light the fire
and I do not know the prayer;
I cannot even find the place in the forest.
All I can do is to tell the story,
and this must be sufficient."
And it was sufficient.

God made man because he loves stories.

I think these first five pages can be enjoyed whether you are of faith--any faith--or not. I know I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home