Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Horrific Crime Prompt

"9 Killed In Bank Robbery In Philippines". They were lined up and shot in the head, gangland execution style. The robbers were in such a hurry they left a lot of money on the bank floor before escaping. What a horrific crime prompt.

When my wife and I read about it, we found it so atypical. Usually, bank robbers don't hurt anyone here in the Philippines unless someone fights back. It's enough for them to scare the bank employees and patrons into submission. So, why?

"Drugs," my wife speculated. "They must've been high."

"Or there's a personal vendetta woven in there, somewhere," I said.

A local anti-crime crusader, Teresita Ang-See, believes there's a correlation between kidnapping and robberies.

Years ago, my father had his own close enounter with bank robbers. He was in his car rolling past a bank when the robbers burst out the doors with their guns and their loot. Fortunately for him (but unfortunately for the driver in front), they chose to commandeer the car ahead as their getaway vehicle. Talk about near-misses.

My thoughts go to the families and friends of the murdered.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh.

This is soooo much close to home. I've been there these past few weeks and it's near my office.

Honestly I am torn if I make this into a crime prompt, if only to give honor to the departed.

I'm still in shock.

2:13 PM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

I'm glad nothing happened to you. It really is not characteristic of our country.

Remember the Oakwood Mutiny? My friends who were in the area said that foreigners were not worried about anything bad happening to them because "It's the Philippines! We'll just move out and follow their orders, but really, Filipinos are gentle souls deep down." One of them even went so far as to say that if it were another country (which I won't mention), then they'd fear for their lives.

This has changed my (admittedly naive) outlook a bit.

Ingat ka diyan! Be aware of your surroundings!

2:58 PM  
Blogger pierrot said...

Man, that's so true about this (cold killing) doesn't happen in the Philippines. It's just not in our nature to be that brutal. We can be accused of other immoral things but not having a heart to spare lives was never one of them. Which is why our recent revolutions have always been peaceful. We can be Hobbit petty and bickering but never this cold. I hope we really are not going down the way of amateur criminals.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home