Saturday, July 26, 2008

While In Line At The Movie Theatre Ticket Booth -- A True Story

Again, not related to books, reading, writing, or literature, but I feel the urge to post this. This post is for all PGS readers who are Batman fans.

Scene: Me in line, before lunch, waiting for my turn to buy tickets for an evening screening of The Dark Knight. In front of me are a man and a lady; behind me are two ladies.

Lady In Front: Ano'ng papanoorin natin?

Man In Front: Meet Dave nalang. Ayoko nang mabigat.

Lady In Front: Sige.

(When it's their turn, they move forward. I'm next.)

Lady #1 Behind Me: Tingnan mo nga yung schedule.

Lady#2: Asan?

Lady #1: Ayun o! (they both read)

Lady#1: Bakit walang Batman?

Lady#2: Oo nga! Sabi ni Lia now showing pa rin ang Batman.

Lady#1: Ano'ng pinapalabas?

Lady#2: Cinema 1 The Flood, Cinema 2 Meet Dave, Cinema 3 Prom Night, Cinema 4 The Dark Knight

Lady#1: Bakit walang Batman? 'di ba bagong labas lang 'yan?

Lady#2: Ewan. Tanungin nalang natin.

Lady#1: Kung wala, ano'ng gagawin natin?

Lady#2: Pili nalang tayo ng iba.

Lady#1: Ano?

Lady#2: Yung Prom Night. Tapos panoorin natin yung part two, yung Dark Knight.

Lady#1: Sige.

Cashier behind the counter, tapping the window: Sir? Sir?

Me (understandably dazed): Uh...hmm?

Cashier: Sir? Ikaw na. Bibili ba kayo ng ticket?

Me: Uh...mm...oo. Sorry. Kanina ka pa ba tumatawag? Sorry. 'di kita narinig.

Cashier: Okay lang. Ano pong papanoorin niyo.

Me: Yung Batman. Dalawang ticket, please. (I point to our seats, and to the evening show on the cashier's monitor)

Cashier: Dark Knight?

Me: Umm...yes, si Batman.

(I pay, get my tickets, then step aside and turn around to fix the change in my wallet, preparing to leave. I hear the two ladies behind me place their order)

Lady#1: Miss, dalawang ticket sa Prom Night, tapos dalawa sa kasunod na showing sa Dark Knight.

I walk away quickly before I can say anything.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dom Cimafranca said...

This one had me in stitches. Are you SURE you didn't make this up?

10:01 PM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

Glad you had a good laugh, Dom.

Me? We've known each other for some time now. Is there anything in my make up that tells you I might be the type to make up stories? :P

But to be honest, everything up to the cashier is true. The cashier didn't have to tap the window to get my attention, but I was a bit dazed when they talked about "part two". I embellished the cashier bit for humour. Hope you didn't mind.

When I told some friends about this, they laughed too, but they think that the two behind me were just having fun with each other, pulling each other's legs. Or that maybe they were saying those things to see if those within earshot will react, like a Candid Camera or Wow! Mali! scenario.

I'd like to think they were really clueless. But I walked away before I could really find out. It's a good thing I did, because I wouldn't want to be the victim of some hidden camera.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

This is sort of like that time I found myself standing behind a trio of teenagers, who were wondering if the cover of PGS3 implied some tentacle-based comics inside...

10:01 AM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

@Sean: Oh, man. That was certainly not intended by us.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home