Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It Doesn't Pay To Be A Grammar Nazi...

...as two self-styled vigilantes found out. What did they do? They "defaced a more than 60-year-old, hand-painted sign at Grand Canyon National Park, were sentenced to probation and banned from national parks for a year. They had removed an extraneous apostrophe and added a comma to the sign." In fact, they had been touring the U.S. wiping out errors on government and private signs.

One of those caught, upon encountering the word "emense" rather than the proper "immense", wrote in his diary: "I was reluctant to disfigure the sign any further. ... Still, I think I shall be haunted by that perversity, emense, in my train-whistle-blighted dreams tonight."

To all the psychologists out there: is this behaviour borderline O.C.?

I suppose it's safe to say that one should keep one's grammar-policing to the proper places. :)

Via Zen In Darkness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home