Tuesday, August 26, 2008

State Of The Nation

How Bestsellers Chart The State Of Nations is an article by Philip Stone over at The Guardian. Stone writes, "What people are reading can tell you quite a lot about where they're reading it". In other words, what a country is reading reflects their concerns and interests. He then enumerates what's on the bestseller charts in different countries, from Japan, to American, to Australia, to Germany (of which he says, "I'm not sure you'll want to know what Feuchtgebiete means, or indeed what it reveals about Germany.").

So, what do you think is on the reading lists of Pinoys? Could this be used as an indicator of what's on our minds?

This article came via Zen In Darkness, whose message in his email reads, "I suspect there's something here that might be gathered from the recent 'resurgence' (?) of genre fiction in the country. I'm afraid i can't wrap my head around it at the moment, but you might feel better up to it."

I'm not sure if I can handle what Zen In Darkness put me up to, and I really don't know how genre stands with the greater reading public, but yes, there is a greater interest in it among many readers I know, but my experiences are anecdotal at best. So I'm throwing this topic out there for others to think about and comment on. To be frank, I'm just glad that it feels like there are more people reading. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home