Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Do We Need Posthumous Publication?

From Zen In Darkness, this article from The Guardian: Do We Need Posthumous Publication? An excerpt:

There is unrest in France over the posthumous publication of Roland Barthes's Journal de deuil (Bereavement Diary), which his friend and former editor, the philosopher François Wahl, told Le Monde "would have positively revolted [Barthes] in so far as it violates his privacy".

Reading extracts, it's obvious the diary is a highly personal piece of writing (and also very moving). "Sad afternoon. Quick shopping. At the pastry shop (pointlessness) I buy an almond cake. Serving a customer, the little female employee says, "Voilà." That's the word which I would say when I brought Mom something when I looked after her. Once, near the end, she half-unconsciously echoed, "Voilà" (I'm here, an expression which we used mutually during a whole lifetime). This employee's remark brought tears to my eyes. I wept for a long time (after returning to the silent apartment)."

The book's editor says it was published with the permission of Barthes's half-brother, and that Barthes had given the book a name. "There is a title, an act of naming ... it's a real literary project," he told Libération.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this particular project, it makes me wonder about the rash of posthumous publications announced recently.

I see two sides. Most readers who are fans of the deceased author would want to read the unpublished works and wouldn't mind if these texts see print. Writers, who can empathize with the deceased author's wishes for privacy, would rather that these texts never see the light of day.

Where do you stand?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home