Sunday, August 16, 2009

Extra Information On The Book Blockade

Recently, Ronaldo C. Ramos left a comment on the PGS Multiply post on The Book Blockade. He said:

Is this law really repealed? I tried to claim books sent to me by my gf, and the Mandaluyong Circle Customs Officer - Amer Adnon Azis assessed me taxes and duties almost equivalent to 100% of the value of the books. He even included the shipping cost in his tax calculation. His boss, Susan Calves confirmed that taxes needed to be paid. I tried to explain the Florence agreement and that I am not an importer, she insisted that I get an exemption from the DOF. Calling the DOF they in turn insist that I appear personally at the Roxas Office to file an affidavit for the exemption. Has anyone also been assessed taxes on books lately? The assessment was made August 11, 2009.

I said I'd ask around, and so I turned to The Curious Couch, leaving a comment on her post One For The Books! She graciously replied and said she'd contact the NBDB. Here's her response:

Here’s the lowdown on the DOF exemption.

According to the NBDB, the individual book buyer must apply for duty exemption at the DOF. You get the exemption the same day you apply for it; you have to apply for an exemption every time you have books coming in. It’s just how it is right now.

An EO zero-rating books is in the works and it just might make our lives as individual book buyers much easier. But we still have to wait and see.

Please feel free to spread the word and to link to this post, so we can get this info out there for those bringing books in.

My grateful thanks to The Curious Couch for the help. :)

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

does this mean if i get my personal books shipped to PH i'll be taxed? i work in singapore and i'm planning on shipping a bunch of my books to my brothers back at home.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Eugene17: Here's something to think about. An acquaintance of mine recently ordered books from Amazon.com and had it shipped here via Johnny Air Cargo. No extra was paid aside from the shipping/handling. I wonder. Perhaps couriers are automatically exempted from paying a tax on books? If that's the case, then I suggest you use whatever pinoy courier is available from Singapore.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hhmm thanks for that. so yours was like a personal package? thanks!

8:00 PM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

Hi. I was trying to find out by making a few calls, eugene17, but thank you very much Charo for answering his question! Thank you!

8:33 PM  
Anonymous sumthinblue said...

Hi, you should not have to file for exemption for items that are non-taxable. From my understanding, exemption is only filed if you or your organization is tax-exempt.

Please call Mr. Jaime Regala of the Bureau of Customs IIPD to report this incident - 5274522

11:00 AM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

@sumthinblue: Thanks for this info. I'll spread the word. Thanks.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been assessed taxes on books last oct.29,2009 at the Las Pinas Post office by Mr. Danilo Magat.I tried to explain that educational materials are exempted from taxes but he insisted that I have to pay and if I wanted an exemption I have to go to DOF. I went to DOF Oct. 30,2009 but the signatory was out of the country so I need to go back Nov.3,2009(so it really isn't a one-day processing for exemption). DO we really need to go all thru this hassle just to claim (3 textbooks for that matter)? In addition , there is a processing fee of 200 pesos ,affidavit 100 pesos respectively.

9:22 AM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

This is bad news. I'll post your comment to The Curious Couch (curiouscouch.wordpress.com). She may ask you to get in touch with her. Let's see. I hope this will be of help.

9:19 PM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

Hi, Anonymous. Try this link:

http://curiouscouch.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/ask-and-you-shall-receipt/

Your info may be of use. It could help you, and help others.

Another option is to get in touch with the NBDB, here: www.nbdb.gov.ph

They're actively trying to sort this thing out.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, thank you for the links. i've checked curiouscouch's link, i think she wants to have a receipt from the post office. i don't have the receipt from the post office because i am working on getting the exemption from DOF tomorrow. ( i hope DOF wont give me the hard time in doing so, as in the case of most gov't agencies).

9:50 AM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

Good luck at the DOF!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home