Friday, October 23, 2009

The Seven Best Cities In The World For Writers

Jamey Stegmaier tries to determine The Seven Best Cities in the World for Writers. An excerpt:

If you wanted to forgo your regular income for a few months and move somewhere in the world just to write, where should you go?

Not that I’m going to do that, but it’s a question I’ve been playing around with for a while. Today I decided to find the answer.

I did a fair amount of online research to find these cities and then rank them, but I’m sure I’ve missed someplace important. I didn’t even consider places like New York or London; even though they’re hotbeds for writers and artists, it’s not cost effective to live there. Plus, there are so many distractions, and way too many novels written about living in New York and London.

I found the cities on this list by looking at places that had established writing communities (even though writing is mostly a solitary task, commiserating with other writers can be motivating), reading/writing festivals and conferences, great settings/environments for writing, and low costs of living (key if you’re surviving off savings for a while).

The list, ascending order.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamey Stegmaier said...

Hey, thanks for linking to my blog. If any cities are missing from the list, let me know! I'm curious if anyone has ditched their worldly possessions and taken the plunge into a few months or a year of pure writing in one of these cities.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home