Thursday, January 14, 2010

Bury Books, Inspire Reading

A very strong article, "Bury Books, Inspire Reading", on the demise of books. In essence, the article is saying, "Never mind the physical book, it's the text/reading/immersion that matters." An excerpt:

Innovation is a funny thing. To break through you often have to muster the courage and insight to let go of what you know and cherish. Take books, for instance. The last few years publishers, booksellers and educators have bemoaned the sorry state of publishing and reading. Publishers in particular have complained that computers, cell phones and television have stolen the time and interest of readers.

The truth is that it’s time to bury books. New York publishers and floundering bookstore chains have contributed mightily to the demise of books in America. Herds of publishers have focused on celebrity books in the same way Hollywood has blindly thrown its millions behind special effects extravaganzas. Chains have drained the passion and human connection out of buying books. The traditional book industry in America is dead.

Reading, meanwhile, is about to be reinvented. It’s not just that Amazon, Sony, and even Barnes & Noble have recently come out with promising e-books. Apple is about to toss its iSlate in the ring, widely rumored to redefine the reading—and distribution—of newspapers, magazines and books.

Writing has been my livelihood for more than twenty years. I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I loved the feel of one of my newly published books in my hand or the glossy appearance on a newsstand of one of my longer articles. But all good things must come to an end.

A couple of months ago I bought a Kindle because it was time. In college I wrote my papers on an IBM Selectric typewriter, but within months of graduating I plugged in an IBM XT, and within a couple of years had the good fortune to buy an early Macintosh. I have never looked back.

Letting go is part of innovation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home