Monday, March 10, 2008

Green Publishing

Publishers, bit by bit, are going green, according to this news report. It is clear that every book published uses a certain amount of pulp, the raw material for paper, which comes from trees. Using recycled paper is one way to conserve the resource, and it's something that I should explore for PGS. I'm not sure yet of the availability of recycled paper here in the Philippines, or the cost of it, but if I can, I think I'd better consider switching to it to make PGS more eco-friendly.

I remember the last time I checked this out some five years ago, recycled paper was not available, and those large recycled rolls or reams that could be bought were imported, and cost more. But I'll make a few calls and find out how the state of things are now. But, I think, since I haven't heard anything lately about this, I have this sinking feeling that the case five years ago is still the same today.

Is this another case for going online? Because it's more eco-friendly? Perhaps, but we must remember that using the computer costs electricity, a level of power that we would not consume reading a book in hand and switching on a lamp for sufficient illumination. So we'll be consuming another resource while using the computer: power.

Doing the right thing by the environment is harder than it looks, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home