Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Own Horror Prompt (Sort Of)

As I promised, I've been looking for a suitable horror prompt to help Yvette Tan for the PGS Special Halloween Issue which she'll be guest-editing. Unfortunately, the only recent horrific experience I had is one that's on a personal level. I doubt if everyone will be as terrified as I was.

(Telephone rings)

Me (picks up phone): Hello?


Caller: Mr. Kenneth Yu, please.


Me: Speaking. Caller: Sir, this is R________ from your dentist's office. It's time for your check-up.

Me (breaks out in cold sweat): Oh...

Caller: Actually, sir, we've been texting you for two months now. Did you receive our messages?


Me (lying): Um...no, sorry. Might...might be low signal strength.

Caller (snickering): Well, I'm glad I was able to reach you. When can we schedule your appointment?


Do you know what it's like, facing down bullies as a kid? No matter how much you want to resist, when they say "do this" or "do that" you end up following them out of fear and against your will. My dentist is a sweet lady, and very friendly and professional; not a bully at all. And yet, I react to her in the same way. It's easier to not answer a text. It's harder when you're actually talking to her assistant. So I ended up setting an appointment, and when I put the phone down and realized what I had just done...well, now that's "horror".

I'm still debating whether I should blog about my actual appointment. It's got nothing to do with "story" anymore, except now that it's over, I can look back and see that it's a "funny story" in itself. :) I'm glad my dentist still bears with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home