Tuesday, October 21, 2008

When Books Could Change Your Life

This article, When Books Could Change Your Life, was sent in by Village Idiot Savant. Thanks very much! An excerpt:

A girl I once caught reading Fahrenheit 451 over my shoulder on the subway confessed: "You know, I'm an English lit major, but I've never loved any books like the ones I loved when I was 12 years old." I fell slightly in love with her when she said that. It was so frank and uncool, and undeniably true.

Let's all admit it: We never got over those first loves. Listen to the difference in the voices of any groups of well-read, overeducated people discussing contemporary fiction, or the greatest books they've ever read, and the voices of those same people, only two drinks later, talking about the books they loved as kids. The Betsy Tacy Books! I loved those books! The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet! I can't believe you know that! The Little House on the Prairie books! Oh, my God--did you read The Long Winter? So good. Hey--does anyone else remember The Spaceship Under the Apple Tree?

It's not just that these books, unlike adult literature, have been left unsullied by professors turning them into objects of tedious study. We love these books, dearly and uncritically, the way we love the smell of our first girlfriend's perfume, no matter how cheap or tacky it might have been. Let's be honest: We all know that Ulysses and A la recherché du temps perdu are "better" books than The Velveteen Rabbit or The Little Prince, but come on--which would you take with you on a spaceship to salvage from the dying Earth?

Let me put it another way: When was the last time a book changed your life? I don't mean offered you new insights or ideas or moved you--I mean profoundly changed the way you see the world or shaped the kind of person you are? If you're like me, it's been longer than you'd like to admit.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pipe said...

Actually, I think I might be strange in the sense that there have been several books I've read since coming of age (so to speak) that have changed the way I view life - or at least, have tinted the way I view it. That's probably because my reading habits expanded beyond genre fiction as I grew older, and a lot of non-fiction out there can really expand your horizons. Here are a few:

* The Canon by Natalie Angier
* What Jesus Meant by Gary Wills
* The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

This isn't to say that genre fiction hasn't exerted a pull on me as well, but usually it's a particular scene or even a particular line in the book that will color my viewpoint from then on. The most recent one I can recall takes place in "The Curse of Chalion" by Lois McMaster Bujold.

I have to admit though that the book that moved me the most was one I did read as a kid: "A Plague of Angels" by Sherri S. Tepper.

Wow - long comment @_@ I'd expound further but maybe it'd be best to do that back at the home blog ^_^

2:49 PM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

Let me know when you've blogged about it so I can link up!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Dom Cimafranca said...

For me, it was Tom Swift and the Hardy Boys...the originals, not the reboots.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah it's been up for awhile ^_^: http://selmem.blogspot.com/2008/10/life-changing-books.html

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home