Friday, July 24, 2009

Old Manila

Facebook users, check out the photo gallery of Old Philippines, in particular this album from Manila circa 1960's: The Harrison Forman Collection. This was Manila then, even before I was born. There's no need to describe them if you can see the photos for yourselves.

My heart ached when I saw the pictures and inevitably compared them to what we can see today of these same places. I understand very well that snapshots of ugly things can be kept away in drawer corners, and that the issues of those times most likely felt as grave and troublesome as those of today's. But of one thing I am sure: you can't deny a clean Pasig, or smogless, orderly, and litterless streets.

There's a Filipino word for this: "Sayang." In English: "What a waste." Lots of lost opportunities.

I don't want to end on a sad note, so even if I don't like the tone of it, may I say something a bit preachy, and then crack a weak joke?

Preachy part: Let's not get stuck on "Sayang", and let's see if we can turn this ship around, somehow. It won't be easy (it never is), but who's to say it can't be done? No use wishing for a past that can't be brought back (except maybe in a story).

Weak joke: And besides, as much as I can appreciate vintage cars, some of those vehicles look downright fugly. And I Iike having internet, cable TV, and cellphones.:D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home