Thursday, March 04, 2010

Paying For A Cellphone News App

The Washington Post has launched a paid iPhone application so that owners of the Apple product can read the news on their gadgets. An excerpt:

The Washington Post, which launched a paid news application for Apple's iPhone on Wednesday, is also looking at other platforms but has no plans to charge for its website, a Post executive said.

Goli Sheikholeslami, Post vice president and general manager for digital operations, said the iPhone and iPod Touch application "gives us sort of a sandbox to experiment in and get an idea of what consumers find of value."

"We think it's sort of a great place to start to work on some of these paid premium products," Sheikholeslami told AFP.

The service costs US$1.99 for 12 months, not expensive at all to get news updates on something you can conveniently take with you wherever you go.

I find this significant because if it succeeds, it will be a significant shift in people's news reading habits. It is a bit more difficult to lug around a laptop to read the Post's free website; even the smaller netbook is harder to carry than a cellphone. The US$1.99 price is low enough to be negligible, and it may provide a steady revenue stream for the paper.

If this does pan out, and other papers follow suit, I wonder, would these news outlets still be called "papers"? Will the name carry over?

And what does this portend for magazines? Books? Those that are illustration/photo dependent may not be as easy to translate into the small screen of a mobile, but not so for text only news, articles, and stories.

Again, it all depends on whether the Washington Post's experiement works.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gentlemen:



My name is Winalyn A. Labides. I am Filipina, born and raised in Digos City, Davao del Sur. I am a Radiologic Technology student. One of my classmates is married to an American, who is retired. His hobby is writing, and it’s happen that I enjoy reading. And I asked him if I could read his works. He promptly said that the book based on Philippines local story. He let me read the book, and then the book is a science fiction story. And I believe you may be interested in, it shocked me upon reading it. And it will do the same for you.
Can I e-mail a few pages? Please send e-mail address whether you want a few pages or the complete work.

email me: owner_curmudgeon@yahoo.com

Thank you.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home