Sunday, May 09, 2010

This Plagiarism Thingie (Updated)

The scanned image of the article from The Village Voice,
from my Facebook friend--thanks very much!

No, not that older issue. A lot's been said about that already.

What happened was that a friend on Facebook informed me that my notes on the May 10, 2010 ballot, which I wrote down during an election seminar I attended in my barangay and shared on my own Facebook account and on this blog, was published in the Edsa-Ortigas issue of The Village Voice. My friend also told me that the byline for these notes was claimed by a certain Alfredo Figueras.

I wonder if Mr. Figueras was there during that seminar too. :)

A part of me is irritated, of course, but another part is glad that there're hard copies of these notes circulating that could help many voters. That was my goal in sharing them via the web, after all. Well, there is the option of contacting The Village Voice--my friend gave me their contact info: email address is villagev(at)pldtdsl(dot)net, telefax numbers are 525-2065 and 526-1066 ;-)--but I'll think about it first. After all, the elections are tomorrow, and there's going to be a lot going on. But I have to admit this plagiarism thingie feels kinda' weird. :-/

Here's hoping for a successful election day, and that the Philippines can move forward in a positive, just, and progressive direction from hereon. The realist in me knows that this is hoping for a lot, but I believe it's a good goal to strive for.

Updated: A friend texted me that The Village Voice issued an erratum in a succeeding issue. My thanks to them for this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home