Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dumb IQ Test

A member of a forum I frequent started a thread with a link to this online IQ Test. It's the usual spatial/pattern multiple choice questionnaire, the one that asks you, "What comes next?". You're given 39 minutes to answer 39 questions. The test gets progressively harder. It reminds me of the IQ tests I took when I was still a student in school, the results of which were strictly guarded by the school psychologists, so I never found out how I did.

I took the online test for fun. Result? I'm dumb. As in stupid (and not mute). Now, I'm cross-eyed as well. I also know why the school psychologists never let me know what I scored.

A baseball fan explained to me once that when major league ace pitchers in the U.S. lose their velocity/confidence/consistency, and are regularly getting their pitches whacked by mid-level batters, their coaches send them to the minor leagues to pitch there for a while. It's a way to help them regain their mojo. After some time, they are brought back to the majors, ready to pitch against the big boys again.

So, to redeem some of my damaged self-esteem, I'm off, to look for a simple word quiz or an easy to intermediate sudoku board, somewhere. I will also have to buy some tissues to wipe the tears from my eyes. I've made a wager with myself: if I fail even these quizzes, I promise to go watch Prom Night, part one of Dark Knight. I will also go and look for my old "See Spot--see Spot run" books.

I want to shout, "I not stupid!"

To all the makers of these kinds of tests: Hoy! E.Q. is better than I.Q.! And if you can't accept that, then I'm gonna' take a flamethrower to your houses! Grr...

Bobo. Gong-gong. *sniffs*

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

It resembles the Mensa exam that I took last year, to be honest... it probably runs under the same theory.

One issue that I have against this kind of test is that it seems to place a heavy emphasis on pattern-recognition, under the assumption that one's pattern-recognition skills imply a greater capacity for learning. (i.e. You learn things better if you can see the underlying patterns in things.) Unfortunately, this kind of logic assumes that most things in life follow a pattern of sorts... which isn't necessarily true.

It's either that, mind you, or I'm simply not reading the test correctly. Having taken a lot of tests, and more or less knowing what my own IQ is... I find that this one rates me slightly lower than usual.

6:30 PM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

I will take some comfort from what you said, but knowing what I scored, it won't be much. :(

Haha! Naah. Just poking fun at myself.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home