Saturday, September 06, 2008

Five Antisocial Gadgets That Should Be Banned

That's the title of an article I stumbled upon. These five gadgets are: Satellite Navigation Gadgets, Bluetooth Headsets, Speakerphones, Custom Ringtones, and...E-book Readers?!?!

A strange one, you might think, given my love of the e-book. Lightweight, convenient and offering hundreds of titles in your pocket, the e-book is surely a perfect gadget. It can’t even annoy your fellow-travellers on public transport. But it has a secret agenda: to destroy romance itself.

You might remember that I hollowed out a Moleskine notebook to hide my iPod Touch, the theory being that while a handsome young man reading a paperback and sipping a coffee at a pavement café would attract the ladies, a nerd reading an e-book would not.

My theory was proved correct this week. Sipping a glass of wine and looking very intellectual, I finished reading the last page of my book (something by Paul Auster, if you must know). I switched to my iPod Touch (without the Molekine prophylactic). Just then, the pretty girl at the next table turned around and, with a flirtatious smile, asked what I was doing.

“Reading” I said

“Reading?” she asked, tipping her lovely head to a rather coquettish angle.

“Yes,” I replied, “I’m reading a book on my iPod.”

She glanced down at the device in front of me.

“Reading a book on your iPod?

As I nodded she simply turned away, brow slightly furrowed. I went home alone.


Geez. Being a reader never gets you the girl, does it? :P

3 Comments:

Blogger Dom Cimafranca said...

If she don't read, she ain't worth takin' home.

1:57 PM  
Blogger pgenrestories said...

Such standards! :)

3:05 PM  
Blogger Johnny Blackburn said...

You tell very informative things and i got your five gadget which should be banned. I agree with you and i hope this will be implement very soon.You tell the fact latest IT newsnow only we have to follow it.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home