Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Why Free eBooks Should Be Part Of The Plot For Writers

Here's an article, Why Free eBooks Should Be Part Of The Plot For Writers, by Cory Doctorow. An excerpt:

You might know that I'm a science fiction novelist and that I release all my books online for free (using the excellent, free and simple Creative Commons licences) simultaneously with their print publication by mainstream publishers (HarperCollins in the UK, Tor in the US).

I've explained at length elsewhere exactly why I do this, so I won't go into detail here, except to summarise by saying I don't think we can stop others from copying – it's a lost cause. Copying is actually wonderful, and I have copied my head off since I first snuck into the photocopy room at my dad's office in 1980. My problem isn't piracy, it's obscurity, and free ebooks generate more sales than they displace.

With that out of the way, let's get down to cases.

Click here to read the whole piece.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home